3.11.2007

We're rehearsing my duel with Mercutio. Romeo's blocked him, trying to break up the fight. "Um, Romeo, I'm kind of in the middle of something right now. Could we talk about this later--ulp!" he quips, just before I stab him under Romeo's arm.

It's nice to be able to laugh as much as we do during rehearsals. Truly, in my experience, tragedies work only when you don't take things too seriously all the time. All in all, I'm having great fun learning and rehearsing some of the most complicated fight choreography I've ever had.

I walk down the street and I can instantly size up potential opponents, prioritizing the targets on their bodies, gaging whether they'll lead with their sword- or their dagger-arms, how many steps it would take for me to close the distance. It's great.

And to top it all off, we had costume fittings yesterday. They've got me outfitted in a sumptuous metallic doublet, a cape, tights and a skirt. A skirt! And a cape! And rapiers and daggers! All I need is a mask and then I can really fight crime at night!

best,

paulmonster-prince-of-cats

No comments: