Two shows in two different--very, very different--schools today. I try to catch them and write them down as quickly as I can, because they all start to melt together within moments; I remember
- Penny, the music teacher in pinstripe pants who wouldn't stop smiling
- The Custodian, a tall, wizened old man with the ZZ Top beard and the tired, stooping, loping gait, who appeared and disappeared very suddenly (aka "Gandalf")
- Acres of children galloping with energy, tumbling over themselves. You need geiger counters and oven mitts to deal with these kids.
As opposed to the second school, where
- the gym was bedecked with championship flags from some
- National Competitive Rope Jumping tradition at this school, which after our performance brought out acres of teenage and middle-school girls and three boys (heh), who then proceeded to skip rope for two hours under the watchful, baleful guidance of a microphoned, be-whistled coach
- we set up diagonally for electrical and basketball hoop voidance purposes. And It Was Cool.
I'm sipping orange pekoe tea and scheming about how to call home, and bone-tired from a long-ish day. I promise, o gentle reader, better ordered notes soon enough.
i can't get next to you baby,